Both buildings of Esperance Rooms are in ideal town centre locations in Hermoupolis. The capital of Syros and the Cyclades, is a seaside town that spreads around the natural harbor of the island. Amphitheatrically built with unique elegance, it is an open museum where romantic classicism meets western standards. Impressive architecture, imposing neoclassical mansions and public buildings, streets paved with marble and squares with palm trees set a unique scenery which was created in 1822 during the Greek Revolution and quickly evolved into an important trade route between East and West. The economic and cultural bloom created a landscape different from the rest of the Cyclades islands, which completely changes when we climb up the hill of Ano Syros - the Cycladic medieval settlement with white small houses, arches and narrow alleys all the way up to the Capuchin Monastery.
Across the island, the traditional element coexists with the cosmopolitan, the medieval with the Cycladic and the neoclassical, the Orthodox tradition with the Catholic. The villages with traditional architecture and magnificent manors, the seaside resorts in the South with the untamed mountainous in the North.
How to get here
Syros is daily connected to the port of Piraeus and several times a week to Lavrion with ferry and high-speed crafts. The ferry trip takes 3.5 or 4 hours, while high speed boats need about 2.5 hours. Daily connections to numerous of the Aegean islands make Syros a starting point for visiting the rest of the Aegean islands. By plane, Syros is connected to the airports of Athens and Thessaloniki.
Port of Syros: (+30) 22810 88888
Port of Rafina: (+30) 22940 22300
Port of Piraeus: (+30) 210 4226000
Airport of Syros: (+30) 22810 81900
Airport of Athens: (+30) 210 3530000
Airport: (+30) 2310 98500
How to find your way around Syros
Ask us to arrange your car or motorcycle or bicycle rental reservation. Alternatively, you may get around the island by bus (tel: +30 22810 82575), or taxi (tel: +30 22810 84222 & +30 22810 88222).
Fill your vacation with unique travel experiences on the island of Syros. Discover the Cycladic tradition, wander around the imposing capital town and the picturesque villages to see the evolution of local architecture and local nature.
Activities: what to do;
• sailing, water skiing, wakeboard
What to see:
Starting from the city-open museum, as Hermoupolis is called, we recommend you to visit:
• The Town Hall of Hermoupolis, build by Ernst Ziller in 1898.
• The Archaeological Museum of Hermoupolis, to see Early Cycladic and Byzantine finds.
• The Municipal Theater Apollon: build by Pietro Sampo in 1862-1864 who was influenced by the La Scala in Milan.
• The Custom Office by the sea: designed by Alexandros Georgantas, built in 1859-1861.
• The Industrial Museum of Hermoupolis.
• The Historical Archive of Cyclades hosting documents since 1821
• The "Vaporia": a prestigious district of Hermoupolis, which rises above the Aegean Sea with magnificent 19th-century neoclassical mansions.
• The Orthodox church of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary where stands out the authentic icon of the assumption painted by Doménikos Theotokópoulos, most widely known as "El Greco".
• The medieval settlement of Ano Syros.
• The archaeological site of Chalandriani - Kastri one of the most important archaeological sites in the Cyclades as a prehistoric acropolis dating back to the 3rd millennium BC.
• The Catholic chapel of Agios Stefanos, which can be reached by caique or organized hiking from Galissas.
• The Aquarium in Kini.
On request, Hotel Esperance may arrange for excursions to discover places of exceptional natural beauty, as well as tours to archaeological and cultural attractions on Syros.